Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Dollar Tree Challenge #3


Not a sponsor
Several years ago, my niece Cassandra started making Deco mesh wreaths and selling them on Facebook.  She offered to teach me how, but life happened and I moved away.  Over the years, I watched several YouTube videos to see if I could get a grasp of the concept.  They looked quite tedious (yeah, I know this is coming from someone who will paint on a 16 x 20 canvas with a brush with 4 hairs in it).

Anyway...

In the winter of 2018, I determined to make myself a mesh Christmas wreath and purchased what I needed, but later chickened out and returned it all to the store.


Chicken Dance GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yeah, I know. Leave me alone.

Fast forward to last month when my sister Clara and I decided to keep our tradition of starting Christmas crafting in July and planned a crafting day over video chat.  I decided I was going to tackle this project since I knew sis would be encouraging and honest all at the same time.  If it looked a hot mess, she would tell me.  So, this weekend, we got on video chat and had a good old hen party (what's with all the chicken imagery?).

And here it is...


Now, I didn't finish it one sitting.  I got all the mesh and ribbon rolled and attached, but I didn't paint the star and attach it until last night.  Honestly, all of the supplies did come from the Dollar Tree:

Supply List
  • 8 rolls of Deco mesh (5 yards per roll) 4 of each color for a two color wreath.  Most tutorials said I'd only need 6 rolls, but I know me.  Good thing too.  I messed up some of the cuts and had to do them over, so I did use some of the 4th roll of each color.
  • 3 rolls of ribbon (3 yards per roll).  I really should have bought four (I thought I didn't have enough up until the last cluster), but my Dollar Tree only had three of what I wanted. 
  • One round 14-inch metal wreath form.
  • One wooden star (or whatever shape you can find--this was the last star like this at my Dollar Tree) or whatever else you want to put in the middle.
  • 1 pack of chenille stems pipe cleaners (I refuse to be that bougie). There will be some left over.
  • Okay, so I already had acrylic paint, but some Dollar Tree stores do sell it.

This video from This Southern Girl Can is the tutorial I settled on to learn this technique.  Her instructions were simple and she's just a mess.

Now, I'm hooked and want to make another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment