Thursday, June 25, 2020

Dollar Tree Challenge #1

Not a sponsor

Part of what I've been doing during quarantine is watching some of the YouTube crafters my sister, Clara, introduced me to.  Many of them know how to take inexpensive items from the Dollar Tree and create gorgeous crafts, art pieces, and home decor items.   This inspired me to take up the challenge and see what I can make.  So, at least once a month, I'll attempt a project and let y'all know how it went.

When I first moved into my apartment, I was given a gorgeous set of canisters that were the perfect size for every day necessities like coffee, and salt for use and display.  However, I've needed some larger ones for things like flour and sugar for baking.  When I started drinking Link's Smoothie, I saved the protein powder containers for use as canisters.  The only problem is, they were ugly:


See?

I know they're just in the cabinet, but I want to enjoy using them, so I decided to use my first Dollar Tree challenge to decorate these.  I purchased two rolls of decorative ConTac paper, a 4-pack of wooden chalkboard labels, two 3oz bottles of Aleene's Tacky Glue, and a pack of sponge brushes. I cut the paper to fit the container, removed the adhesive backing, and attached it.

Lesson one:  No matter how straight you cut the paper, it's hard to line it up on something round.

Lesson two:  Wooden labels don't bend, so they can't be attached to a round surface.  I ended up scanning them and printing the labels on white cardstock paper.  I used the wood labels for something else.

Lesson three:  When you can't find ModPodge at the Dollar Tree, mix water with white glue.  It's the same thing (pretty much).

I got out my acrylic paints and decorated the printed labels with the name of what the canister will contain.  Once they dried, I used my homemade ModPodge to glue and seal the labels to the canister.


Much better!

I haven't even used one complete roll of the paper, but I'm saving it for future canisters and other projects.

I'd say my first project turned out well.







No comments:

Post a Comment