Christmas in July 2026 - 02: Monday Mess Making

One of my favorite ornament patterns is this popcorn wreath ornament.  I got the pattern from here more than 20 years ago.  Since I don't (and didn't) go through many tape dispenser rolls, I use Yarnology's 2-inch cabone rings from Hobby Lobby instead (not a sponsor).  Every season I have the opportunity to make these, I strive to try something different with them.  This round, I'm using a simple weave.  I may try something different the next round, or leave them sweet and simple like this.

 

 

I mentioned in my 26 for 2026 list that I'd received my dream sewing machine.  When I say received, I mean it. I didn't buy it: some sweet person who knew I had my eye on it had it delivered to my doorstep.  I have a hint as to who it was, but I'm not 100% sure.  I don't even know if they read my blog, but if so THANK YOU!

Part of the reason I wanted it is because unlike my other sewing machines, this one is computerized, has more than just a straight and zig-zag stitch, and can be set up for free-motion quilting rather than just straight-line or stitch in the ditch quilting.  Don't worry, I'm not getting rid of my old faithful Singer Merritt (the one I call "Big Mama") that still sews beautifully though it's more than 40 years old, or my Brother machine (the one I call "Little Mama") that's in its third decade and still makes great straight stitches.  Little Mama is more portable than either the Singer or the new one, so it will go with me to quilt group (hopefully to live in our quilting closet at the church so I don't have to drag it back and forth).  Big Mama will stay here for piecing quilt tops when I'm in the throes of quilting on the new one. 

I have no experience in free-motion quilting, so I thought I'd practice on something small.  I'm attempting to combine this tutorial and this one to create a personalized Christmas stocking.  I know, right now it looks like a placemat with the corner eaten out of it, but hopefully when I'm done it will be a nice quilted stocking.  We'll see.
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dollar Tree Challenge #4

Dollar Tree Challenge #2

31 Days of 5 Minute Free Writes 2017 - 27: "Overcome"