Create this book - 01 [Monday Mess Making]
After having "Do at least five art/craft projects based on the prompts of Moriah Elizabeth's Create This Book series/book" on my yearly list twice, I bit the bullet and got started. The first prompt I chose was:
Create a Rule.
While I understand the idea for the prompt, I think the "rules" of art were what was keeping me from getting started. I've dealt with the journaling police, the crochet police, the painting police, and the quilt police, ignoring them and their rules all the way. For some reason I got stuck on whether I could execute the prompts correctly. But what would that even mean? Will I make mistakes and learn new things? Absolutely. But it's my book and my art, so the only way I do it "wrong" is to not do it at all.
I took inspiration for this page from my two favorite "rebels" from the UK. Robert Welsh is a professional makeup artist who shares on YouTube his knowledge about both the artistry and the business side of makeup industry. I adapted (with a slight alteration) his motto, "Creativity and individuality have no rules, but makeup has a theory." Any kind of artistry works somewhat by theory (color theory, design theory, etc.), but rules? Not really. Most well-known artists are those who break the rules to create beautiful art. I'm a rule follower in some things, but making art by rule is painfully boring.
Kate Jackson is the lovely hostess of the YouTube channel The Last Homely House. Miss Kate shares her love for all things craft. She's willing to try anything, but her favorite artistic expression is through quilting. She often says, "Get out of your head and into your hands." I had to take her words to heart so I could get started.
Full disclaimer: I did use tech to help me with these pages. Those who know my art are aware that I use stickers and utilize my Cricut to cut objects for cards, collages, or any other kind of paper craft. They also know my disdain for AI-generated "art." As I said here: AI is a vitamin, not pure food. In other words, there are ethical ways to use AI to SUPPLEMENT your own work, but there is no ethical way to use it to REPLACE your own work. With that being said, I used an image editor online to turn one of Mr. Welsh's photos into a coloring page, and of course the lettering is not my handwriting (you can actually read it). All the coloring on the face and letters is my heavy-handed use of colored pencils.
Yes, I know that this was a shallow swim into the book and my art, but I had to get into the water somehow.

Comments
Post a Comment