Monday, January 16, 2023

The UFO Pile 01: Monday Mess Making

I'm taking part of my time off to dive in to my UFO (Unfinished Object) pile. Like my "Finishing and Fixing Series (see here, here, and here), one of the projects sat unfinished because, quite frankly, my first attempt was so butt ugly I wouldn't display it at a worm wrestle.  It was a set of those little square drawers from the Dollar Tree.
 
 
I glued nine of them together in three rows of three.   Because I wanted to use them as functioning drawers, I covered the inside of cut out end with some leftover craft foam (seems like that stuff just won't go away), turned the drawer around, and glued knobs to the side facing outward.  My idea was to paint the whole thing black and decorate it with painted flowers.  Well, once I painted it with black chalk paint, it looked like I'd set it on fire.  It sat unfinished, laughing at me, for at least two years.  When I pulled it out of the closet, I ditched my original idea and opted for something simple.

 
After I was satisfied with the paint job, I lined the bottom of the drawers with felt (it won't go away either).  This is now my designated earring box.  The purple and gold go great in my bedroom. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

The start of the year is a time to try some new things.  My latest new project isn't quite finished yet, so I'll give you hint as to what it might be.


Lord willing, by my next post, I'll have it finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment