Friday, June 14, 2024

30 Day Art Challenge 2024 - Day 14: "Paper"

Today, I'm playing with...


I recently spent the day with a couple of ladies in our church who are expert card makers.  One of them gave me her old manual embossing/die cutting machine.  After purchasing a few accessories and learning the easiest way to take the warp out of the cutting plate, I was ready to play.

Out of the five I made, the two on top were my favorites.  The card on the left uses a couple of the oval die cuts, my new stamps (that I need practice with), and some colored pencils.  The card on the right uses the circle embossing folder and my circle punches.  Just the few inexpensive tools have got my brain on overload with ideas.

So what did I learn?

  • Depending on the type of cutting/embossing plate, you can flatten out a warped one with a cookie sheet and boiling water.  
  • In tooling around with colored pencils, I learned that a colorless blender pencil will blend all types of colored pencils.  I've been learning to work with Prismacolor pencils, but I have a lot of Crayola and Rose Art pencils that I don't want to go to waste.
  • The best cardstock paper is solid core.  I had no idea there was a difference.  I thought it was all the same, but some paper has a white core no matter what color it is.  Solid core is, as the name suggests, the same color all the way through even when cut.  Now, anyone who receives the cards isn't going to care about what kind of paper I used, but solid core paper will make my cards look more crisp.

On my other blog, I mentioned that one of my goals for the year is to send a box of cards to Cards for Kindness.  I'm up to 40 cards.  I want to make at least 10 more before sending them off.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment