Wednesday, June 12, 2024

30 Day Art Challenge 2024 - Days 11 & 12: "En Plein Air"

 For today...


En plein air is a French phrase which simply means "in the open air."  Most en plein air artists create art featuring the surrounding environment.  For example, impressionist painter Claude Monet spent 40 years painting landscapes and still life pieces of objects and nature around his home and gardens.  Though I dream of going to the botanical gardens and painting some of the flowers, I don't yet have the artistic skills or the wherewithal to do something like that.  So, my substitute is simply to sit outside and paint.

Because I don't have a patio (though I have a sliding glass door that should go to one--yes, I'm still a little salty about that, especially since they have been doing exterior renovations on our buildings), getting set up on my front stoop is a little involved.  I have to bring out a couple of tray tables and a chair, plus all the paraphernalia needed for painting. Would it be easier to purchase a little bistro set for the space that I don't have to bring in and out?  Yes, but for some doorknob-dumb reason, the leasing company for my apartment considers that space the "common area."  Do what now?  It's in front of MY apartment, doesn't block my door, my next door neighbor's door, or the stairwell, and is in nobody's way.  

No, I don't get it either.

Now do you see why I want my own house?

Anyway.

The idea for the painting came from a photo I saw on Pinterest.  Though I worked outside for a couple of hours, I didn't finish the painting.  The fresh air did me good, but the heat started making me tired.  So, this necessitated my finishing the painting the next day.


What would you name this painting?

No comments:

Post a Comment